Saturday, April 25, 2015

Watering orchids

Saturday mornings are when I like to water my orchids. Well, usually, unless I have to leave extremely early in the morning and there's barely time for me to get out of bed, get dressed, and leave. Then I do it on Sundays.

So this is what my kitchen ends up looking like when I get to watering.

One of my other hobbies is quilting/sewing and so I go through jugs of distilled water. I save those jugs for watering my plants since all of the fertilizer instructions tell you how much fertilizer to add to one gallon of water. Easy. Currently, I'm using the MSU Orchid Fertilizer mix from repotme.com.

All of my orchids sit in plastic pots with drainage holes which then sit in containers with no holes that can hold water. I pour the water in and let it sit for 15-30 minutes. There have been a few times when I have forgotten about them and remembered half a day later that they're still sitting in water. Once they're done sitting, I lift the inner pot out to drain, and put them back. Really easy. Any idiot can do it, hence why my orchids are still alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment